Nutrition therapy tips for cancer patients undergoing treatment:
- Screening and assessment should be done before treatment begins, and continue during treatment.
- Screening looks for risks in patients and assessments determine if nutrition therapy is needed to correct a problem.
- Detecting nutrition problems early on can improve patient’s prognosis.
- Treating nutrition problems in underweight or malnourished patients can lessen their side effects during treatment and help recovery.
- A healthcare team should continue to watch for nutrition problems throughout treatment.
- This team may include a physician, nurse, registered dietitian, social worker, and psychologist.
The goals of nutrition therapy for cancer patients in active treatment or recovery:
- Prevent further nutrition problems
- Decrease side effects due to treatment
- Help strengthen patient’s immune system
- Help the body recover and heal
- Improve or maintain the quality of life
The above information is summarized from content released by the National Cancer Institute.